Monday, May 11, 2009

Victorian Tile 2-Diamond variations

Here are some variations on the Victorian Tile road paint pattern range voted on at the BCRA meeting of 9 May 2009. Some variations include features of the "Carpet" design with the "Victorian Tile" design range. If you'd like to comment on the various versions, please refer to them by letter in your comments.

----------
VERSION A
The original Victoria Tile-inspired design presented on 9 May 2009:


----------
VERSION B
Carpet straight edging, 9-tile ochre central diamonds:


----------
VERSION C
Carpet straight edging, 16-tile ochre central diamonds:


----------
VERSION D
Carpet straight double-tile edging, 16-tile ochre central diamonds:


----------
VERSION E
Carpet sawtooth edging, 16-tile ochre central diamonds:


----------
VERSION F
Carpet sawtooth edging, 16-tile ochre central diamonds, ochre corners:


----------
VERSION G
Diagonal ochre-bordered edging, 16-tile ochre central diamonds:


----------
VERSION H
Diagonal edging, 16-tile ochre central diamonds:

4 comments:

Alexandra Allen said...

Ted and all,

I like Versions A and G the best, I think they achieve the "room" effect best and also mirror the house tiles best.

Cheers
Alex (from Sustrans)

Sally Hope said...

We like version G . We think that psychologically drivers might slow down more with a head-on drive into an arrow head...
Thank you for all your hard work and creative skills , Ted.
The Hopes [45]

Unknown said...

Personally I think B looks tidiest. Best of luck sorting out which is the most popular! I'd be happy with any of them, I think, but prefer the least fussy.
Paul

Daniel Black said...

Hi Crofters,

With regards to aesthetics I'll avoid giving you my subjective response as I do not live in the street, and I can't give you a useful objective one without studying the area's built environment further; I trust you guys have done that already anyway.

From a practical point of view I think the somewhat muted colours are good because road surfacing will wear very quickly anyway: the success of the design is not reliant on bright colour. Another positive is that, even with the muted colours, the montages shows a decent amount of contrast with the tarmac, which should help slow traffic (perhaps an argument here for the designs with more yellow ochre: B-G).

A last point is about maintenance: you need to plan with Oxford how to ensure that utility companies replace the carpets as found: they won't look nearly as effective with rough splashes of tarmac all over them.

Best wishes,

Dan (Sustrans)